Wednesday 26 December 2007

A Bit Of A Dust Up?


IMG_3253
Originally uploaded by apremorca
Just finished a bit of a conversation with a friend on Facebook.

I said I'd quite enjoyed The Golden Compass

Here's what he said:

is this the book or the film - I had heard that the script/production excised most of the Pulman theology so what is left is a ripping yarn. Not sure if that is good or bad - if they had succeeded in taking the Christianity out of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when they filmed it I would have been very upset. I don't agree with Pulman but if his original concept got nobbled to present to a mass audience I would feel shortchanged

Here's what I said back:

Film - and everyone I know has slated it for the reasons you give. But ... although it's a long time since I read the book I reckon Pulman's philosophy is still pretty clear (so far anyway ... if remember the trilogy correctly it doesn't become THAT clear in the books till after book one). I realise that it may only be clear to me BECAUSE I have read the book but if someone hasn't read the books they aren't going to care anyway are they? (It is just about possible that I'm mistaken here - I may have forgotten just how much the original sin/ anti-ecclesiastical stuff there was in Northern Lights. If I had the time I'd re-read the book. My Son who saw it with us insists I'm wrong ... but that's par for the course, whatever the issue!) Either way I enjoyed the film for the most part.

As a ripping yarn it works pretty well especially in the second half - I cared about the characters; Lyra was really well acted as was Mrs. Coulter (Nicole Kidman) and the big polar bear fight scene tugged at my heart strings as did the daemon separation / child abuse scene.

The problems with it arise mainly from the decision to aim for a PG cert and a younger audience which leads to an overly short film, which then leads to some very clunky potting with far too many "let's spell it out for the kids" lines of dialogue.

Go see it and let me know what you think.

Also - is this a sad thing to be doing on boxing day? Shouldn't I be fighting with my family and complaining about the ref at this afternoon's match?

PS - was a bit disappointed with the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe - the film that is.

What do you say?

No comments: